AKWA IBOM STATE COLLEGE OF EDUCATION AFAHA NSIT
Akwa Ibom State College of Education, Afaha Nsit , established on 11th October, 1990 by the Military Governor, Wing Commander Idongesit Okon Nkanga. The Science and Technology oriented College of Education is affiliated to University of Uyo.
Three years after the creation of Akwa Ibom State, the State Government, as part of its general efforts to develop the young state and specifically address educational needs, decided to establish a science-based institution to train the much needed middle-level manpower in science education. To actualize this desire, the state government in a budget broadcast by the then State Military Governor, Wing Commander Idongesit Okon Nkanga FSS, PSC (+), pronounced the establishment of the State College of Education to be sited at AfahaNsit with a directive that it should be open for lectures in January, 1991.
On the 10th day of January 1991, the College of Education Afaha Nsit came into existence as the first tertiary institution established by the Government of Akwa Ibom State. The facilities of the defunct Teachers Training College, Afaha Nsit, were made available to the new College for its take off and subsequent development. Consistent efforts were made to renovate the premises to meet the desired standard of the College of Education and in January 1991 the College Education, Afaha Nsit opened for lectures with a population of 179 students and 352 staff. This followed the formal handing over of the existing facilities to the College authorities by the then Commissioner for Education, Mrs Cecilia J. Umana, on 10th January 1991.
To ensure proper functioning of the college, and in line with existing tradition in higher institutions, a twelve member Governing Council was inaugurated on 14th, January 1991, with Professor Eno L. Inanga of the University of Ibadan as the Chairman. On 18th March 1991, the College conducted her first matriculation, and later in the year had the rare privilege of playing host to then President and Commander-in-Chief of the Armed Forces of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, General Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida, CFR, FSS, MNI, who was on an official visit to Akwa Ibom State.
The College was established by Edict No.2 of 1990 as a corporate body with perpetual succession and a common seal to, among other powers:
- Provide courses of instruction, training and research in the fields of education, science and technology and such other fields of learning as the college may from time to time determine.
- Organize conferences, seminars, studies and other activities relating to the fields of learning specified above; and
- To hold examinations and award certificates, diplomas, degrees and other academic distinctions to persons who have pursued any course of study approved by the College and satisfied such other regulations as the College may prescribe.
To be the leading College of Education in the country, committed to providing excellent and qualitative learning opportunities to students.
To produce God-fearing, intelligent and result-oriented Teachers who are poised to implement Educational Policies and Programmes of Government geared towards the attainment of the general goals of Education and best global practices.
1. Commitment to duty
2. Honesty and integrity in service
3. Hard work that brings the desired results
4. Reward for hard work
5. Respect to constituted authority and elders either in age or service 6. Courtesy and respect to visitors
7. Good Representation of the college, anywhere anytime
8. Strict observance of laid down polices.
Peter Hezekiah Lawson (Sir Pee). The CEO of Sir Pee Integrated Services and www.libraryguru.com and www.projectvilla.com.ng. A reputable researcher, ICT Instructor and a publisher of many research works in Education.