Discuss The Importance Of Measurement And Evaluation For NCE Students
As in every level of education, it is important to conduct research on how education could be more effective and fruitful in higher education. Teacher education refers to the professional education of teachers towards the attainment of attitudes, skills, and knowledge considered desirable so as to make them efficient and effective in their work, in accordance with the need of a given society at any point in time.
It is also vital for graduates of higher education institutions to be qualified and intellectual in their study area because one of the significant purposes of higher education is to educate individuals as well-informed and skillful people. Aims, subjects that will be covered and teaching methods should be well-designed in practices involved in higher education which are well-planned in a systematic way.
Another point which is as important as this is about measuring and evaluating in a scientific and proper manner. The reason behind this is that the processes of teaching and learning should be reviewed and re-organized with the help of measurement and evaluation practices on a regular basis in order to make the teaching and learning processes more fruitful. Accordingly, the ones who carry out measurement and evaluation practices and who teach how to measure and evaluate have important responsibilities.
Definitions of Measurement and Evaluation
Measurement and evaluation are independent concepts. Evaluation is a process that uses measurements. In the evaluation process, information is interpreted according to established standards so that decisions can be made. Clearly, the success of evaluation depends on the quality of the data collected. If test results are not consistent (or reliable) and truthful (or valid), accurate evaluation is impossible. The measurement process is the first step in evaluation; an improved measurement leads to accurate evaluation.
The process of measurement as it implies involves carrying out the actual measurement in order to assign a quantitative meaning to a quality i.e. what is the length of the chalkboard? Determining this must be physically done. Measurement is, therefore, a process of assigning numerals to objects, quantities or events in other to give quantitative meaning to such qualities.
Evaluation adds the ingredient of value judgement to assessment. It is concerned with the application of its findings and implies some judgement of the effectiveness, social utility or desirability of a product, process or progress in terms of carefully defined and agreed upon objectives or values. Evaluation often includes recommendations for constructive action. Thus, evaluation is a qualitative measure of the prevailing situation. It calls for evidence of effectiveness, suitability, or goodness of the programme
Importance of measurement and evaluation for NCE students
The importance of Measurement and Evaluation for NCE students cannot be overemphasized. The study of the course measurement and evaluation equipped the students with appropriate knowledge on how government administration make decisions on how many schools to be built in a country, province, district or community.
Also on decisions on instructional aims, units, grades or marks enables teachers and school administrators to determine the extent to which pupils are growing towards the desired goals of the community for promotional reporting to parents and other stakeholders for the ability of their children are based on measurement and evaluation.
The most basic purpose of the educational evaluation is to determine what a student’s needs are. With proper testing and evaluation in the early grades, learning disabilities and handicaps can be identified and dealt with. Without testing, problems can go unrecognized for years. While educational testing cannot in itself be the basis for a diagnosis, it can point students in a direction that may ultimately lead to a psychologist, who can diagnose conditions.
In the 21st century, there is much emphasis on specialization in education. In today’s complex, knowledge-based economy, students must have specialized skills before they can have a successful career. The streaming of students into educational programs begins with standardized testing, which identifies student aptitudes and abilities. While standardized tests are somewhat controversial due to their potential for misuse, there is no denying that they can be effective in identifying intellectual gifts and helping students know the areas in which their talents can be useful.
Education is effective when students improve over time. Without measurement and evaluation, it is impossible to know whether students are making any progress. Tests and assignments can tell teachers which students know the material, which students are trying to learn and which students are not trying at all. While evaluations are not perfect in determining student achievement (some students underperform in spite of effort because of learning disabilities), the progress in a student’s grades over time can say a lot about where that student is and where he needs to be.
Eventually, students get to their last year of high school. At this point, a student needs to score the best grades possible in order to get into a good college. While it is possible to debate the merits of college admissions processes based primarily on grades, there is no question that such a process is in place at many colleges. Therefore, a rigorous system of testing and evaluation, in which teachers provide students with many smaller assignments in order to address issues before the big assignments, will help a school’s college placement rate in the long run.
The course measurement and evaluation is of great importance for NCE students because:
- It has helped the students to have knowledge in data analysis in carrying out statistics of a given class.
- It has helped the students to understand the different domain like cognitive, affective and psychomotor domain
- The course helps to improve the students evaluating technique, how to access the students in any class and how to administer the different questionnaire to them to test their level of understanding.
- It measures a student’s achievement. Students’ achievement can be determined whether he has reached the goals of the learning tasks or not through measurement and evaluation.
- It evaluates instruction. The effectiveness or ineffectiveness of instruction is ascertained through measurement and evaluation.
- It motivates learning. Upon knowing the results of the achievement test, the student’s interest is aroused especially if he gets a high score; otherwise, if his score is low, he strives hard to get a higher score in the next examinations.
- It predicts success. Success and failure of the student are predicted through measurement and evaluation. For instance, a student who always gets high scores in all his subjects may mean that he is sure to pass and passing means success.
- It diagnosis the nature of difficulties. The weaknesses of the learner can be identified through measurement and evaluation particularly, diagnostic test.
- Measurement and evaluation, in general, evaluate educational goals and purposes, determines the extent to which accepted educational objectives are implemented and enable teachers to know his/her pupils better.
Peter Hezekiah Lawson (Sir Pee). The CEO of Sir Pee Integrated Services and www.libraryguru.com and www.projectvilla.com.ng. A reputable researcher, ICT Instructor and a publisher of many research works in Education.